Safe at Sea: History test or trivia quiz?
Here’s a chance to test your historical knowledge of things boating-related, some of which are obscure and definitely fall under the category of “worthless pieces of information.”
Test the “depth” of your boating history:
1. Which company built the first modern-style center console?
n Boston Whaler
2. Scott-Atwater was known for building … ?
n Outboard motors
n Bilge pumps
3. How much did a pair of Sperry Topsiders cost in 1956?
4. The first 13′ Boston Whaler was introduced in ___________.
5. In 1964, a builder got rid of the traditional foredeck on runabouts and opened up the bow so you could fish from it. This was the first fish-and-ski and was built by ___________.
6. Zodiac started its business in France primarily as a builder of _________________.
n Bicycle tires
n Hot-water bottles
n Seat cushions
7. Which brand of outboard was the first to cross the Atlantic?
8. This year, in an obscure town in northern Indiana, a small but persistent builder is celebrating 118 years of continuous operation. It is___________________.
So how did you do?
1. Aquasport 222 (approximately 1964)
2. Outboard motors
This quiz, which in part came from Boating Magazine 2003, certainly brought back great memories for me. Our family’s first boat was a Starcraft with a 30 hp Johnson outboard. My brother and I thought we were in heaven. Great memories of skiing, fishing, crabbing, et cetera, up in the Pensacola area.
Hopefully, this quiz brought to life great memories of your first boat!
Pat Schmidt is a member of America’s Boating Club of Sanibel-Captiva. For more about the chapter and its courses, visit www.sancapboating.club or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-987-2125.