Annual Blue Ribbon Golf Classic to feature auction as one way to support Sanibel school
With the Sanibel School Fund’s annual Blue Ribbon Golf Classic set for May 15 at The Sanctuary Golf Club, the community has the opportunity to support the island school through an auction and more.
The golf tournament is a critical fundraiser for the school, a K-8 institution that serves the island communities, as the monies raised supplement the school’s budget to enhance its curriculum.
While the school is public, the private funds from the community are important to maintaining the school’s Blue Ribbon status, improving its ranking as one of the best elementary and middle schools in the state, and — most importantly — providing the best education it can for the islands’ students.
The fund aims to raise $125,000 before the end of the school year to support the STEM — Science, Technology, Engineering and Math — program, as well as other services, programs and supplies.
As part of the fundraising efforts for this year’s event, several donors have provided contributions, allowing the fund to offer up some exciting auction packages. Bidding is open to the public on:
– Myra Roberts Painting, “Shellebrity of the Sea”: The 12-by-16-inch first edition giclee from the world-renowned local artist is her most recent painting.
– Lazy Flamingo Chair: Like a true local, have your own personalized chair installed at the island’s famous restaurant. Create your own Sanibel legacy!
– Captiva Getaway: Enjoy a two-night stay at the world-class South Seas Island Resort, along with a six-person sunset cruise on Captiva Cruises and a $100 gift card to Doc Ford’s Rum Bar & Grille.
– Ladies Basket: Comes with a $1,500 Congress Jewelers gift card, The Dunes Golf & Tennis Club tennis package with Blackwood Tennis shop accessories, a foursome of golf at The Dunes, a $100 spa treatment at Kay Casperson Lifestyle Spa, a $100 Traders gift card, and Traders gift shop jewelry.
– Island Life: Comes with a day of fishing the coastal waters with longtime local Captain Noah, a pickleball lesson for up to four players with local certified pickleball instructor Peter Redpath plus a new paddle and balls, a foursome of golf at the Sanibel Island Golf Club with a new golf bag, dinner with wine pairing for a party of four at Traditions on the Beach, and an original turtle painting from famous local island artist Sissi Janku.
Bidding will open on May 15 at the start of the tournament and will close at 8 p.m. at a special after-golf party at MudBugs Cajun Kitchen, at 1473 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel. Those unable to attend who want to place a bid can email TheSanibelSchoolFund@gmail.com. All emailed bids will be entered.
In addition, the fund is raffling off an Everglades python hunt for four people with celebrity outfitter Bill Booth, from the History Channel’s “Swamp People.” Tickets are available at Bailey’s General Store, at 2477 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel, and Keller Williams Realty, at 2440 Palm Ridge Road, Sanibel.
The title sponsors of this year’s Blue Ribbon Golf Classic are The Sanctuary Golf Club Foundation, Doss Family Fund and Filkins Family. Premier sponsors to date are Sanibel Captiva Community Bank, Sampas Family and Doc Ford’s. Grand sponsors are Brenda and Marty Harrity, The Sanibel Captiva Trust Company, Bank of the Islands, and Stevens Family and June Bailey.
“The Sanctuary has been such a great friend to the school and the fund for so long,” Sanibel School Fund President Jeff Muddell said. “Our golfers and sponsors are always thrilled by the experience at the club. And now, with the club giving directly to the school through a grant and sponsorship, that makes the day at The Sanctuary even more special.”
Opportunities to join the event as a philanthropic partner begin at $1,000 and include a foursome of golf. Partnerships are also available at the $2,500 and $5,000 levels. Individual playing spots are $300.
For more information, email TheSanibelSchoolFund@gmail.com or call Muddell at 321-217-3946.