Zontians to collect donations for local non-profits
The Zonta Club of Sanibel-Captiva will host the 4th annual Community Collection Day on April 17 from 10 a.m. to noon in the parking lot at the Sanibel Congregational United Church of Christ.
The outdoor event will feature a drive-thru drop-off option for those interested.
“We had to cancel last year’s Collection Day due to the coronavirus,” Service and Advocacy leader Nancy Swofford said. “We are delighted to bring back an event that helps many of our service partners and also provides an opportunity for islanders to clean out their closets and garages ready for spring.”
The event will benefit local non-profits with which the club has a service relationship, all of which work to improve the lives of women and girls. The public is asked to bring gently-used and new items for the groups to use in their mission to empower women — a goal Zonta shares. Donations are tax deductible; Zontians will be on hand to collect items and issue tax receipts.
The following is a partial list of items requested:
– Abuse Counseling & Treatment of Fort Myers: Toiletries of all kinds, new twin size bedding, towels, washcloths, baby items, pots and dishes and everything for setting up a home
– Angel Wings: Gently worn or new women’s clothing and shoes, household goods for setting up a home, personal hygiene products (shampoo, toothpaste, et cetera) and paper goods, including toilet paper
– Community Housing & Resources: Baby strollers, toddler clothes, toys and diapers
– F.I.S.H. of Sanibel-Captiva: Canned food and clean, brown paper bags
– Healthy Start: Diapers and wipes, baby clothing (new or gently used) and developmental toys (rattles, stacking cubes, et cetera for ages 3 and under)
– PACE Center for Girls Lee County: Business separates and gently loved dresses, shoes, handbags and jewelry
– Trailways Camp: Fishing poles, acrylic paints and markers, paper towels, cups, trays, color pencils and bath towels
For more information or to donate, visit www.zontasancap.
Sanibel Congregational United Church of Christ is at 2050 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel.