DDWS scholarships’ application deadline approaching
The application deadline for a number of scholarships from the “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society-Friends of the Refuge — ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 each — is scheduled for March 31.
High school seniors, college students and graduate students in or from Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties who are pursuing degrees in environmental-related studies can apply.
The DDWS will award the scholarships at a special ceremony at the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel in June, if prevailing pandemic guidelines permit.
In its 15th year, the scholarship program presented its first awards in 2006, donated from Tarpon Bay Explorers — the refuge’s official recreation concession. To date, it has awarded $147,100.
Named scholarships to date for 2021 include:
– Richard Bailey Memorial Scholarships
– Mike and Terry Baldwin Scholarship
– Dr. Andrew and Laura Dahlem Scholarship
– Dr. H. Randall Deming Scholarship for Conservation and Environmental Studies
– Hans and Leslie Fleischner Scholarship
– Mary Elaine Jacobson Memorial Scholarship
– Win and Marilyn Kloosterman Education Scholarship
– Francine and Barry Litofsky Scholarship
– Tarpon Bay Explorers Scholarships
– Jane Werner Environmental Scholarship
For more information and applications, visit dingdarlingsociety.org/articles/student-scholarships.
To learn more about the scholarship program and establishing a permanently endowed scholarship, contact Birgie Miller at 239-472-1100 ext. 4 or firstname.lastname@example.org.