Early voting kicks off in Lee County
Early voting for the 2020 General Election is under way. Lee County residents have through Oct. 31 to submit their ballots at 11 different sites across the county prior to the General Election on Nov. 3.
In a prepared statement, Lee County Supervisor of Elections Tommy Doyle said he wants residents “to vote safe and vote early to avoid large crowds in the November General Election.”
Times at each of the early voting locations are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Florida law requires voters to provide picture and signature identification when voting in person. Picture ID cannot be expired. If your signature ID does not contain your signature, an additional identification with your signature is required. Any form of signature ID is acceptable. Signature identification does not need to be current.
“We’re hoping to promote early voting so that people take advantage of it because of the simple fact that they’ll have 13 days to be able to vote at any one of the 11 locations,” Lee County Elections Office spokesperson Vicki Collins said. “We’re hoping for the people who want to vote in person that they do it during early voting — for their safety and their convince.”
With current public health standards in place at polling locations, Lee Elections officials said the voting process might not be as swift as in prior years. They hope residents use the 13-day early voting period to space out the amount of people coming in at once, namely on the Nov. 3 deadline.
On Oct. 15, the county Canvassing Board administered a logic and accuracy test on machines that will be used during early voting and on Election Day to make sure ballots are being correctly decoded and counted.
All poll workers are required to wear masks and will keep voting areas sanitized throughout each day. The elections office is requesting those who vote in-person to wear a mask, but they are not required.
“It’s a simple gesture for them to thank their poll workers who are brave enough to work and serve their community during this time,” Collins said.
Completed vote-by-mail ballots can also be dropped of at each polling location in a specified, secured drop-box outside of the voting area up until Election Day on Nov. 3.
For more information, visit www.lee.vote.
EARLY VOTING LOCATIONS
Early voting for the Nov. 3 General Election will take place Oct. 19-31 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily at 11 locations throughout Lee County. Eligible voters may vote early at any of the following sites:
– Cape Coral-Lee County Library, 921 S.W. 39th Terrace, Cape Coral
– Dr. Carrie D. Robinson Center, 2990 Edison Ave., Fort Myers
– East County Regional Library, 881 Gunnery Road N. Lehigh Acres
– Estero Recreation Center, 9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd., Estero
– Lee County Elections Bonita Springs Branch Office, 25987 S. Tamiami Trail, Unit 105, Bonita Springs
– Lee County Elections Cape Coral Branch Office, 1039 S.E. 9th Ave., Cape Coral
– Lee County Elections Center, 13180 S. Cleveland Ave., Fort Myers
– North Fort Myers Recreation Center, 2000 N. Recreation Park Way, North Fort Myers
– Northwest Regional Library, 519 Chiquita Blvd. N., Cape Coral
– Riverside Community Center, 3061 E. Riverside Drive, Fort Myers
– Veterans Park Recreation Center, 55 Homestead Road S., Lehigh Acres
Source: Lee County Elections Office