‘Ding’ Day photo contest deadline coming up
The deadline for the 28th annual “Ding” Darling Day Amateur Nature Photography Contest, which raises cash award prizes to celebrate the refuge’s 75th anniversary, is Oct. 15.
All entries must be submitted electronically to be eligible for the $300 first place prize, $225 secon d place prize and $175 third place prize. Honorable mentions receive the return of their $25 entry fee.
Hosted by the “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society-Friends of the Refuge, the contest is held in conjunction with “Ding” Darling Day on Dec. 1 at the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel.
In an effort to maintain its commitment to the environment, DDWS will not accept photo contest entries by mail. The complete contest rules are as follows:
– There is a $25 per person entry fee that provides you with a membership to the DDWS and is used to defray the cost of the contest. One fee covers two entries per person.
– Only amateur (all ages) photographers are eligible to enter (may not possess a professional photographer tax identification number for the sale of photographs).
– Photos must be taken at the refuge and have been taken within two years of entry date.
– Each person may enter up to two photos but is eligible to win only one award.
– Photos must be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com. Each photo must be a JPEG file of at least 3000 x 2400 or four megabytes. Panoramic photos are not allowed.
– Photos that have won awards in previous DDWS photo contests may not be resubmitted.
– Judging will be anonymous. Please do not put your name or anything that will identify you on your photograph.
– Judging criteria: Technical excellence (sharpness, lighting, composition, exposure); originality/creativity; interest; and ability to be reproduced for publication.
– Only limited image modifications are permitted. Minor manipulation should be used only to produce a more natural looking photograph. Cropping is allowed but adding any elements not existing in the original scene will not be accepted. Judges, at their discretion, will disqualify any photos that appear to be manipulated beyond these guidelines.
– All photo files will become the property of the DDWS, with proper photo credit given to the photographer.
– First, second, and third place winners and honorable mentions will be formally announced during the “Ding” Darling Day celebration on Dec. 1.
– There are three judges: A refuge staff person, a professional photographer, and a member of the Sanibel community.
For an entry form and more information, visit dingdarlingsociety.org/articles/photo-contests.
Entries must be delivered by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct. 15.
Entrants can pay by sending a check made out to the “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society, P.O. Box 565, Sanibel, FL 33957, with a memo “for photo contest” or online at tinyurl.com/dingcontestfees.
For assistance, contact 239-472-1100 ext. 4 or email@example.com.