LCEC offers tips on preparing homes for storms
Storm season is in full swing so if your home is not storm-ready, now is the time to prepare.
The most important precaution you can take to reduce damage to your home and property is to protect the areas where wind can enter. The following are tips to help you storm-harden your home:
– Protect your windows with hurricane shutters or plywood.
– Trim dead branches from trees and shrubs around your home, avoiding those close to power lines.
– Clear your patio and yard of furniture, potted plants, toys and other debris.
– Anchor items that cannot be taken inside.
– Turn off and unplug the TV before lowering an antenna or satellite dish.
– Protect your electronics with surge protection devices.
– Reinforce your garage door at its weakest points.
– Inspect doors and add extra locks or slide bolts.
– Inspect and secure mobile home tie downs.
In addition to preparing your home for a storm, it is essential to have your family’s disaster plan and kit ready. For additional information, download the LCEC Hurricane Guide online at lcec.net.