Early morning house fire causes heavy damage
An early morning fire caused severe damage to a Cape Coral home Friday that likely will result in the structure being declared a total loss.
The Cape Coral Fire Department responded to the blaze in the 2000 block of Southwest 2nd Terrace at 4:30 a.m. to heavy smoke coming from the roof.
According to CCFD spokesperson Andrea Schuch, the cause of the fire was accidental in nature and began in the utility room “in or around the air handler.” Total damage was $150,000.
“Unfortunately, the fire had been burning in the attic, so even though firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames, damage was extensive,” said CCFD’s Facebook page. “The building inspector had to red tag the residence, and it is likely to be a total loss.”
CCFD sent nine response teams to control the fire.
None of the six occupants of the home, including one child, suffered any severe injuries but one of their dogs died due to the fire.
The Red Cross provided direct client assistance and recovery planning to them to meet their disaster-caused needs.
-Connect with this reporter on Twitter: @haddad_cj