Hop on the bus for the BIG ARTS Naples gallery tour
BIG ARTS is hitting the road with a comfortable bus tour that will feature Naples’ most prominent art galleries on March 18. It will include stops at The Baker Museum at Artis-Naples and the Naples Art Association, along with lunch at the Brio Tuscan Grille in the Waterside Shops.
“Everyone had such a great time on last year’s trip we knew we wanted to do another one this year,” Programs and Gallery Manager Lauren Huff said. “We wanted this year’s trip to be different, so we decided why not head south and enjoy all the wonderful art Naples has to offer. It’s a great way for people on the island to enjoy all the incredible art Southwest Florida has to offer without the stress of fighting the traffic of season.”
Guests will enjoy a full day of gallery hopping, starting with the newly renovated Baker Museum. The museum is one of the foremost fine art facilities in Southwest Florida. Emphasizing modern and contemporary art, it hosts several traveling exhibitions annually to complement installations of works from its permanent collections. Dedicated to stewardship and scholarship, the museum provides world-class exhibitions and educational opportunities for Southwest Florida’s diverse community.
The exhibits will include:
– Iconic works from the permanent collection, featuring 100 selections chosen for their aesthetic and historical significance
– Monet to Matisse – French masterworks from the Dixon Gallery and Gardens
– Expressions – Matisse and modern art from the permanent collection
– Color Field – Sculpture exhibition organized by the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas
– Looking at Words: A Poetry of Shape – Exhibition that features an exciting look at the formal use of text within visual art (sometimes without any other pictorial element) by artists such as Ed Ruscha, John Baldessari, Louise Bourgeois and Barbara Kruger
– Magritte: Reflections of Another World – Comprised of six paintings by Belgian artist Ren Magritte (1898-1967)
– The Florida Contemporary exhibition – Select group of contemporary artists practicing in Florida, whose work shows the diversity of approaches to personal, local and global themes
After, there will be a lunch stop at the Waterside Shops. Brio Tuscan Grille offers a variety of Italian entrees, dishes and drinks. The shops are set amid a landscape of 30,000 tropical plants and flowering shrubs; a 550-foot-long, hand-laid rock wall punctuated by cascading water; and lightning features.
Following lunch, the tour will visit the Naples Art Association. Celebrating 65 years of inspiring creativity and providing opportunities to experience the visual arts, it is the community art center for Collier County. The association hosts a variety of exhibitions by established and emerging local artists, nationally-recognized outdoor shows, studio art classes, workshops and unique artistic events.
The exhibits will include:
– Dan Jensen: Realism in Action – An accomplished painter and active participant in the association’s education program, his work received acclaim in a number of nationally-recognized furniture competitions. Jensen continued his art studies at the University of the Americas Mexico City and the Art Institute of Chicago. At Naples Art, he has received numerous awards for his work. Most recently, he was awarded second place in the Telling a Story: Narrative Art exhibition for his painting “Lone Ranger Crossing the Alps.” Jensen is a member of the Art Club of Chicago, where he participates in exhibitions each summer. His work has also been exhibited at the Salmagundi Club in New York.
– Lifelong Learners: Art and Artists of Naples Art, Group Exhibition – Featuring artists who are long-time participants in the association’s education program, as well as other art study programs. The exhibition is sponsored by Jean Devine.
Tickets are $135 and include transportation, lunch, a tour and talk at each gallery, and wine and bites on the trip back. For more information or to purchase tickets, contact the box office at 239-395-0900.