Complimentary tax return preparation available
The United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or VITA Program offers tax assistance for qualified taxpayers.
Beginning Feb. 7, VITA will offer tax preparation at the F.I.S.H. of Sanibel-Captiva Walk-In Center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 2430 Periwinkle Way, Suite B, Sanibel. Appointments are required and fill up quickly. Additional appointment dates are Feb. 14, Feb. 21, Feb. 28, March 6, March 20 and April 3.
In addition, VITA will be available on March 12 and March 19 from 3- to 7 p.m. at the Sanibel Public Library, at 770 Dunlop Rd, Sanibel.
Households earning $66,000 or less qualify for the VITA Program. VITA preparers are IRS-certified trained volunteers who can inform taxpayers about special tax credits that may be applicable such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for Elderly or the Disabled.
Those wishing to have their tax return completed must bring the following:
– Valid picture ID and birth dates for everyone on the tax return
– Social security or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for each family member and working adult
– All earning statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099s)
– Total paid for daycare and provider business’ EIN
– Affordable Health Care Statements (1095-A) or Health Insurance Exemption if you bought insurance from the marketplace
– Interest and dividend statements
– Last year’s tax return
– Any other tax documents you received
Additional documents may be requested.
For those filing a joint return, both spouses must be present.
To reserve an appointment time, call F.I.S.H. Program Director Kathy Y. Monroe or Anthony Morales at 239-472-4775.
For more information about F.I.S.H., visit “http://www.fishofsancap.org”>www.fishofsancap.org.