DDWS scholarships’ application deadline approaching
The application deadline for a number of scholarships from the “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society-Friends of the Refuge – ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 each – is scheduled for March 31.
High school seniors, college students and graduate students in or from Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties who are pursuing degrees in environmental-related studies can apply.
The scholarships will be awarded at a special ceremony at the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel in June.
In its 14th year, the DDWS scholarship program presented its first awards in 2006 from Tarpon Bay Explorers, the refuge’s official recreation concession. To date, the program has awarded $138,400.
“Tarpon Bay Explorers started the program by offering two $1,000 scholarships in 2005,” DDWS Executive Director Birgie Miller said. “When four applicants turned out to be highly deserving, they doubled their commitment that year. Through the years, co-owner Wendy Schnapp has increased her annual contribution and has awarded a total of 51 scholarships.”
For more information and applications, visit dingdarlingsociety.org/articles/student-scholarships.
To learn more about the scholarship program and establishing a permanently endowed scholarship, contact Birgie Miller at 239-472-1100 ext. 4 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Named scholarships to date for 2020 include:
– Richard Bailey Memorial Scholarships
– Mike and Terry Baldwin Scholarship
– Dr. Andrew and Laura Dahlem Scholarship
– Dr. H. Randall Deming Scholarship for Conservation and Environmental Studies
– Hans and Leslie Fleischner Scholarship
– Mary Elaine Jacobson Memorial Scholarship
– Win and Marilyn Kloosterman Education Scholarship
– Tarpon Bay Explorers Scholarships
– Jane Werner Environmental Scholarship