Northwest Regional Library to celebrate 10th anniversary
The Northwest Regional Library will celebrate its 10-year anniversary next week with a slew of activities for the entire community to enjoy.?
To celebrate its first decade, an all-day celebration will be held on the day it opened, Thursday, Dec. 5.?
Northwest Regional Branch Manager Cynthia Loftis-Culp said the library has grown, even though it opened during the economic downturn. In the decade, it has grown in both staff and patrons.?
“We are doing really good and moving along,” she said. “The whole staff is one of the best I have ever worked with and I have been in the library (system) for 25 years.”?
Sometimes people forget the Cape has two public libraries, she said.
- “We get confused with the Cape Coral branch. We have had so much construction out here and there are people moving to the area,” she said, adding that the celebration is a great way to “get out there and show who we are and what we have.”?
- The day will kick off with a Family Storytime with the Gulf Coast Symphony from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Loftis-Culp said the storytime is open to everyone and there is no pre-registration.?
- “They are going to talk about some of the instruments. I believe he is going to let them play with the instruments and possibly will be playing music to the story,” she said.?
- The fun will continue with a photo opportunity with Disney’s Belle from noon to 1 p.m.?
- The following two hours, 1 to 3 p.m. will be a Sphero Obstacle Course. Participants will program the little Sphero with a tablet to make it move in different directions.?
- An author visit and book signing will take place from 2 to 3 p.m. with Elaine Sciolino.?
- “Her newest book is about the famous river in Paris, ‘The Seine: The River That Made Paris,'” Loftis-Culp said. “It’s a book full of reasons to love Paris. It’s on the New York Times Best Sellers List.”
- There will be a Teen Escape Room from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. and a Tween Escape Room from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.?
- “We do them in the teen room probably at least once or twice a month and they are well attended. They enjoy working together and figuring the clues out,” Loftis-Culp said.?
- From 3 to 5 p.m. Krafty Kate’s Facepainting Kreations, Pelican’s SnoBalls and a special visit by the Bookmobile where the public can check out books, will take place.?
- The festivities also will include All Things Virtual Reality from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and Technology Exploration from 4 to 5:30 p.m.?
- In addition, all day long, there will be a beading station and paper bead creations, as well as a fancy photo, Paris themed, opportunity for individuals to take a selfie.?
- Refreshments and cupcakes also will be available.?
- “Everything is free to the public, except the author’s book,” she said, if individuals want to purchase the new novel. “It’s going to be a spectacular day and hopefully everyone comes out and enjoys it with us.”
The Northwest Regional Library is at 519 Chiquita Blvd.