Taste of the Islands winners announced
The Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife announced the winners of the 38th Taste of the Islands to a full Sanibel Community Park on Nov. 10. This year’s event featured 13 restaurants from Sanibel and Captiva. Judges Chef Jarred Harris, Gina Birch, Artis Henderson and Karen Feldmen voted on a variety of categories while attendees voted for the “People’s Choice” award sponsored by Rosier Insurance.
The winners are:
– Best Appetizer: Sandollar Restaurant for Bacon Wrapped Scallops
– Best Meat: Thistle Lodge for Bone-in Braised Short Ribs with Cucumber Kimchi
– Best Seafood: The Clam Shack for Lobstah Roll and Sandollar Restaurant for Pina Colada Coconut Shrimp (tie)
– Best Vegetarian: Matzaluna for Fusilli Primavera
– Best Dessert: Sanibel Fish House for Stuffed Key Lime Cheesecake
– Taste of Taste: Thistle Lodge
– People’s Choice: The Clam Shack
In an unprecedented twist, the judges voted to a tie in the “Best Seafood” category and both restaurants were awarded the honor. In a “three-peat,” The Clam Shack was voted the “People’s Choice,” joining the other multi-year winners Lazy Flamingo, which won from 1998-2000, and Gramma Dot’s, which won eight straight awards from 2001-2008.
“It was great to see the community come together for CROW’s 38th Taste of the Islands. The weather was fantastic, the food was amazing, and everyone enjoyed the live entertainment provided by the Private Stock Band featuring Trey Wanvig,” Event Chair Debra Neri said. “Thank you to everyone who attended and supported CROW’s mission, especially the participating restaurants, sponsors and volunteers who made it all possible.”
The event was well attended with over 3,000 attendees. Funds raised will benefit CROW’s mission to save wildlife through state-of-the-art veterinary care, research, education and conservation medicine.