Sanibel-Captiva Optimist Club reports on a busy summer
While other summer and early fall activities may have been slow on the islands, children were busy supported by the Sanibel-Captiva Optimist Club.
Several activities took place at the Sanibel Recreation Center, including:
– Junior Anglers: Composed of 15-20 fourth-graders and fifth-graders who were registered for the center’s summer session, the Optimists’ Junior Anglers spent eight Mondays beginning in June learning and perfecting their fishing skills. Although most days were fishing from the shore on the island, there were three boat trips. Counselors from the center and the Optimist Club accompanied the children, helping many to learn how to bait hooks, cast and catch fish. As has been the yearly custom, a picnic on the Causeway Islands was held on the last day for the campers, counselors, staff and volunteers. The Tarpon Bay Explorers provided the fishing tackle and boats on two occasions, Adventures in Paradise did so for one of the boat trips, and Bailey’s General Store supplied the bait.
– Free Lunch Fridays: Every Friday of the summer season, the Optimists provided pizzas for lunch to the campers, counselors and staff. This year 153 pizzas were prepared by the Sanibel Deli and Coffee Bar and provided by the club.
– Back to School Gift Cards: Just prior to school starting, the Optimist Club provided gift cards to all K-12 students living in a Sanibel Community Housing and Resources unit. The gift cards were to purchase back to school supplies and were redeemable at Walmart, especially for use during the “Tax Free Days” provided by the state.
– Lightning Basketball: In August, the center began a basketball program for registered K-8 students on the Lightning team. The Optimist Club provides funds for equipment, uniform jerseys and the awards banquet.
– Archery: A fall program for older students registered at the center teaches the fundamentals and fun of archery. The Optimist Club provides partial funding for equipment and other expenses required.
For more information about the club, visit sancapoptimist.org or call 239-472-0836.