BaconFest set to sizzle
A universally loved breakfast side dish will once again be the center of attention in Cape Coral next weekend.
The sixth annual BaconFest Trolley Event, put on by the South Cape Hospitality & Entertainment Associations, is set to depart for a night of unique drinks and bacon-flavored delectables Aug. 10 from 7-11 p.m.
“BaconFest is always one of our most popular events,” said SCHEA’s Executive Director, Eva Burd. “So many people love bacon and our guests really get creative with their bacon-inspired costumes.”
Trolley-goers will get to sample 12 different drink and appetizer selections from participating locations.
Burd said that each venue tries to get as creative as possible – and with bacon on the menu, chefs and mixologists should be able to create some extraordinary flavors.
“We are going to have so many unique drink and food samples,” said Burd. “Bacon-ade, Pecan Bourbon Delight, Bacon Me Crazy, Banana Bourbon Bacon Cheesecake, PB&J Pork Belly just to name a few. We will also have a Wine Boutique participate for the first time.”
The full list of participating locations and their samples are:
* Big Blue Brewing: Pecan Bourbon Delight & Bourbon Bacon Pie
* Big Storm Brewing Co: Wavemaker Amber Ale & Bacon Caramelized Snack Mix
* Cruisers: Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned & Maple Bacon Taffy
* Dixie Roadhouse: Bacon-Ade & Scallops wrapped in bacon.
* Monkey Bar: Jungle Juice & Bacon-wrapped Li’l Smokies
* Rack’em Spirits & Times: Bacon Me Crazy & Bacon Brittle
* Ralph’s Place: Mai Tai & PB&J Pork Belly
* Remixx Lounge: Salty Dog & Candied Bacon
* Rockade: Bacon Me Angry & Beef w/ Bleu Cheese wrapped with Bacon
* Rusty’s Raw Bar & Grill: The Lumberjack garnished w/ bacon & Banana Bourbon Bacon Cheesecake
* Tiki Hut: Bacon Bloody Mary & Bacon Deviled Eggs
* Waterside Wine: Cabernet & Smoked Bacon Cheese Bread
Participants in BaconFest also will have the chance to vote on their favorite samples, giving a little extra incentive for the establishments to fire up their best.
“They are so excited,” Burd said of the participants. “Our trolley-goers are actually going to be voting on their favorite drink and appetizer sample, so our participating locations are really getting creative.”
Tickets to BaconFest include a wristband for samples, passport ballot, as well as an exclusive “I Like Pig Butts” can cooler.
The trolleys will continue on a loop all night to all locations with trivia along the way. Get your passport stamped at every location to be eligible for the grand prize — a bacon-themed gift basket.
Those who dress for the occasion and have their photo taken at the Dolphin Key Resort lobby (one of the stops) may win four tickets to SCHEA’s BBQ Pub Crawl in September.
Check-in for the event is open from 6-7:30 p.m. at Big John Plaza and in front of Dixie Roadhouse. Late check-in is from 7:30-9 in front of Dixie Roadhouse.
“We are going to have so much fun,” said Burd. “The drink and food samples are going to be so good, and of course, there will also be music and dancing.”
This event is 21-plus. Valid ID at check-in will be required.
Designated driver tickets can be purchased at a discounted rate at BackStreets Sports Bar pop-up location, adjacent to the normal location, as they are undergoing construction.
Tickets and more information can be found at www.SouthCapeEntertainment.com.
-Connect with this reporter on Twitter: @haddad_cj