Updated sea turtle nesting numbers for islands
According to a website used by the Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation to track sea turtle nest counts and false crawls on Sanibel and Captiva, the following data was recorded as of July 12:
– East End: 122
– West End: 408
– Captiva: 167
– Total: 697
– East End: 3
– West End: 20
– Captiva: 2
– Total: 25
– East End: 222
– West End: 786
– Captiva: 277
– Total: 1.285
– East End: 0
– West End: 22
– Captiva: 0
– Total: 22
Some tips to help keep keep the beaches sea turtle-friendly:
– Turn off or shield all lights that are visible from the beach. Do not use flashlights or cell phone lights on the beach. If necessary, use amber or red LED bulbs.
– Do not disturb the screens covering nests. They prevent predators from eating the eggs and the hatchlings emerge through the holes without assistance.
– Remove all beach furniture and equipment from the beach at night.
– Dispose of fishing line properly to avoid wildlife entanglement.
– Fill in large holes that can trap hatchlings and nesting sea turtles.
– Do not disturb nesting turtles – please do not to get too close, shine lights on or take flash photos of nesting sea turtles.
– Pick up litter.
To report issues with nests, nesting turtles or hatchlings, call the Sea Turtle Hotline at 978-728-3663.