Recreation center introduces CITs for summer
The Sanibel Recreation Center’s “Counselors-In-Training” – CIT – program is welcoming 10 members this summer, including Amanda Cohen, Jacob Engelbrecht, Ben Froelich, Ethan Froelich, Grant Kaminer, Rachel Kelly, Liam Murray, Daniel Romulus, Alex Santoro and Hudson Stirner.
The program allows incoming high school freshman and sophomores to contribute to the Sanibel Recreation Department’s kindergarten to eighth grade Summer Camp Program to develop leadership skills and gain experience as volunteers. A CIT’s responsibilities include assisting with activities like preparing weekly craft projects, assisting counselors on field trip days, and setting up and cleaning up after activities.
The counselors-in-training this week are:
– Jacob Engelbrecht is a freshman entering Bishop Verot High School in the fall. He was a part of the recreational programs as a child. While working as a CIT, Jacob is gaining service hours. One of his favorite activities as a CIT includes swimming.
– Grant Kaminer will be a sophomore home-schooled through Cypress Lake High School. He participated in the after-school programs and recreational programs from fifth through ninth grade. So far, Grant’s favorite part of working as a CIT has been going on a field trip to Sun and Fun Lagoon in Naples.
– Rachel Kelly is a rising sophomore at Fort Myers high school. She participated in the recreation programs as a youth. When asked about her favorite part of working as a CIT, Rachel said, “I like working with the little kids.”
– Daniel Romulus is a freshman entering Bishop Verot High School this fall. He participated in the city’s recreational programming as a youngster. Daniel’s favorite activity as a CIT has been swimming. When asked why he wanted to be a CIT, he said he wanted “to help the community and to gain service hours.”
– Alex Santoro will be a freshman at Fort Myers High School in the fall. When asked about why he wanted to be CIT, he stated he wanted to help in the summer camp programs. One of Alex’s favorite parts of being a CIT has been swimming.
Youth interested in participating in the “Counselor-In-Training” program can contact Program Supervisor Dave DeFonzo by at email@example.com or 239-472-0345.
The Sanibel Recreation Center is at 3880 Sanibel-Captiva Road.