Rec center taking registrations for scuba certification course
The Sanibel Recreation Center’s scuba certification course will prepare individuals to safely and enjoyably scuba dive. Divers will learn and execute skills associated with safe diving practices first in a pool and then in a saltwater environment.
The class will meet six times over the course of a week, culminating with four dives on the reefs and wrecks off the coast of Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Students will be required to complete the “dry” education and exam independently before beginning the in-water portion of the course.
Registration includes instruction, educational materials, gear rentals, student dive insurance and boat trips. At the end of the course, students will be eligible for certification as a NAUI Scuba Diver.
– $799 for members without required student equipment
– $699 for members with required student equipment
– $999 for non-members without required student equipment
– $874 for non-members with required student equipment
Course dates and times:
– June 25: Sanibel Recreation Center from 5 to 8 p.m.
– June 26: Sanibel Recreation Center from 5 to 8 p.m.
– June 27: Sanibel Recreation Center from 5 to 8 p.m.
– June 28: Sanibel Recreation Center from 5 to 8 p.m.
– June 29: Offsite Open Water Dives (five hours)
– June 30: Offsite Open Water Dives (five hours)
– Course registration and payment
– Completed waivers
– 18 years of age or older
– Comfortable in water
– Ability to: demonstrate novice swim level proficiency, survival swim 10 minutes, swim underwater 50 feet on one breath and pass knowledge exam prior to in-water training (educational materials provided)
Student equipment requirements:
– Waterproof watch
– Dive computer
– Complete SCUBA gear set (BCD, regulator, weight)
– Wetsuit (suggested for people that get cold easily)
Additional costs for students to consider:
– Required equipment
– Optional equipment
– Whether purchasing or renting gear
– Driving to Fort Lauderdale
– Accommodations in Fort Lauderdale
– Tips for boat crew
Instructor Calli Johnson enjoys diving and teaching in all of Florida’s underwater environments. Years of experience as a SCUBA instructor and research diver with the University of Florida helped to form her rigorous and informative teaching style. With a maximum class size of eight, she emphasizes student safety and comfort as her top priority. She uses hands-on learning to turn students into divers.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daily, weekly, semi-annual and annual memberships are available at the center.
The Sanibel Recreation Center is at 3880 Sanibel-Captiva Road.