Refuge to celebrate World Sea Turtle Day with free activities
Take a free guided beach walk, watch a free film and take advantage of free upcycled sea turtle crafts, Refuge Nature Store specials and hand-outs on June 17 – World Sea Turtle Day – at the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel.
Free sea turtle lessons and a showing of the 90-minute film “Turtle: The Incredible Journey” will take place throughout the day at the Visitor & Education Center. The morning’s ranger-led beach walk and clean up will depart from the Perry Tract, accessible from Gulfside City Park. The first 20 to show up for the beach walk receive a free gift and a 10 percent discount coupon for sea turtle items at the store.
“My interns and I decided to celebrate the day by drawing attention to and educating people about the plight of threatened sea turtles in our oceans,” refuge Conservation Educator Sara Hallas, whose team is organizing the events, said.
The full schedule for turtle-friendly and free fun throughout the day is as follows:
– Free beach walk and clean up at Perry Tract (parking fees will apply) from 9 to 10 a.m.
– Free sea turtle lesson in the Visitor & Education Center classroom from 11 to 11:30 a.m.
– Free showing of the film “Turtle: The Incredible Journey” from noon to 1:30 p.m.
– Ongoing free make-and-take sea turtle crafts in the Visitor & Education Center classroom from noon to 2 p.m.
– Free sea turtle lesson in the Visitor & Education Center classroom at 2:30 p.m.
For more information, call 239-472-1100 ext. 236 or visit dingdarlingsociety.org/articles/events.