Safe at Sea: Top 10 reasons to schedule a vessel safety check
America’s Boating Club of Sanibel-Captiva offers vessel safety checks – for free – to boat owners.
The program provides boaters the opportunity to have their vessel examined, documenting its safety. The safety exam pays particular attention to the carriage of safety equipment and their operation.
Certified vessel examiners will go to marinas, as well as public and private decks, by appointment to conduct the check. A successful check results in the owner receiving a “safety” decal, documenting the exam.
Below are some reasons why all boat owners should schedule an appointment:
– No. 10: It’s a safety check!
– No. 9: A vessel safety check will ensure your boat is in compliance with federal, state and local marine safety requirements.
– No. 8: Passing the check, your vessel safety check decal shows law enforcement that your boat has been inspected within the last year.
– No. 7: Displaying the vessel safety check decal lessens the chance of being boarded.
– No. 6: A vessel safety check decal shows other boaters and law enforcement officials that you care about safety and have taken the time to have your boat inspected.
– No. 5: Certified vessel safety examiners know the law and can answer most of your questions – and will get the answers to those they currently do not know!
– No. 4: A vessel safety check makes a boat owner feel better and safer knowing their vessel meets the requirements of the law.
– No. 3: A vessel safety check provides the boat owner a contact person for more boating information.
– No. 2: If something goes wrong while you are at sea, it is too late to start checking your safety gear or familiarizing yourself with your vessel’s systems and their operating condition.
– No. 1: It’s free! All you need to do is call 239-985-9472 to make an appointment and an examiner will meet you on your boat.
Vessel safety checks are a public service provided by the club. The certified team of examiners have extensive experience in boating the local waters surrounding our islands.
John Carney is a member of America’s Boating Club of Sanibel-Captiva. For more information, contact 239-985-9472 or Commander@SanibelCaptivaSPS.org or visit sancapboating.club.