Island libraries take part in food rescue campaign
Lee County Solid Waste’s second annual “Donated not Wasted” food rescue campaign encourages seasonal residents and visitors to donate unopened pantry items before returning north.
“We were delighted with the participation during our inaugural campaign in 2018,” Lee County Public Utilities Director Pam Keyes said. “Last year, 3,771 pounds of food was collected over the two weeks – enough to provide 3,143 meals to those in need.”
About 70,000 tons, or 13 percent, of the waste stream in Lee County is food, according to a 2016 waste audit. Nationwide, Americans throw out about 30 percent of the available food supply.
To help reduce those numbers, unopened canned or dry goods can be dropped off through April 22 at any Lee County Library System location or Lee County Recreation Center. Additional collection containers are located at the Six Mile Cypress Slough and the Topaz Court Household Chemical Waste Facility.
Lee County Solid Waste is asking the public to join the effort along with its partners to help route food that might otherwise end up in the waste stream to the county’s population of people in need.
The drop-off locations are:
– Bonita Springs Public Library, 26876 Pine Ave., Bonita Springs
– Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library, 921 S.W. 39th Terrace, Cape Coral
– Captiva Memorial Library, 11560 Chapin Lane, Captiva
– Dunbar Jupiter Hammon Public Library, 3095 Blount St., Fort Myers
– East County Regional Library, 881 Gunnery Road, Lehigh Acres
– Estero Recreation Center, 9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd., Estero
– Fort Myers Regional Library, 2450 First St., Fort Myers
– Johann Fust Community Library, 1040 W. 10th St., Boca Grande
– Lakes Regional Library, 15290 Bass Road, Fort Myers
– North Fort Myers Public Library, 50 Pine Island Road, North Fort Myers
– North Fort Myers Recreation Center, 2000 North Recreation Park Way, North Fort Myers
– Northwest Regional Library, 519 Chiquita Blvd. N., Cape Coral
– Pine Island Public Library, 10701 Russell Road, Bokeelia
– Riverdale Branch Library, 2421 Buckingham Road, Fort Myers
– South County Regional Library, 21100 Three Oaks Parkway, Estero
– Veterans Park Recreation Center, 55 Homestead Road S., Lehigh Acres
– Wa-Ke Hatchee Recreation Center, 16760 Bass Road, Fort Myers
Other drop-off sites include the Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve, at 7751 Penzance Blvd., Fort Myers, and the Topaz Court Solid Waste Annex, at 6441 Topaz Court, Fort Myers.
For more information, visit www.leegov.com/solidwaste or call 239-533-8000.