‘Table Manners’ reading planned at Strauss Theater
A reading of “Table Manners,” by Alan Ayckbourn, will be performed on March 2 at 7:30 p.m. at the BIG ARTS Strauss Theater, at 2200 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel.
In the play, Annie has decided to go away for a weekend with her brother-in-law, Norman. Her plans are changed by the arrival of her brother, Reg, and his wife, Sarah, who have come to take care of Annie’s mother while she goes away. When Sarah finds out that the weekend involves Norman, she tries to put a stop to it. The situation is made even more complicated by the presence of Annie’s friend and would-be suitor Tom, a veterinarian. The humor climaxes with a round-robin dinner party that includes Norman’s wife, Ruth.
Ayckbourn is a prolific British playwright and director who has written and produced more than 70 comic plays, of which “The Norman Conquests” is a trilogy that includes “Table Manners.”
The following local artists will perform in the reading:
– Judy Koloski (Annie) studied with the New York School of Dramatic Arts, has taken theater courses with the Florida Rep and has appeared in several productions of the Sanibel Community Players
– Leslie Anding (Sarah) danced with the New York City Ballet and has worked with several theatre groups
– Michael Cullen (Tom) has performed for several summer seasons with the Barn Community Theatre in Minnesota
– Helen Barber (Ruth) was engaged in formal training in ballet, tap and modern dance in her earl childhood and was active in amateur dramatics and choirs in her teens and throughout her life
– Alan Levine (Reg) has previously performed with the Sanibel Community Players
– Robert Runck (director) has directed and performed in readings for the Sanibel Community Players, acted with the American Repertory Theater and directed plays in Florida, Massachusetts and New Hampshire
Tickets are $12 each.
Advance tickets can be purchased at 239-395-0900 or www.BIGARTS.org.
Tickets may also be purchased at the door beginning at 6:30 p.m.