Memories of Lee County during World War II to highlight 2019 Cracker Dinner
Recollections of what it was like to grow up in Lee County during World War II will be the focus of the Southwest Florida Historical Society’s annual Cracker Dinner Monday, Feb. 18, at the Broadway Palm, 1380 Colonial Blvd.
Genevieve Bowen, who was born in Fort Myers, will recall her childhood memories of servicemen in Fort Myers at Buckingham Air Field (now Lee County Mosquito Control), practices for potential air raids and traffic jams downtown on VJ Day (Victory in Japan) along with other memories of Fort Myers in the 1940s.
Her presentation will be accompanied by patriotic music performed by Barbara Peterson at the piano with vocals by Roger Peterson, John Goulet and Beverly Cox.
The buffet dinner starts at 5:30 p.m., and the program begins at 7:15 p.m. Tickets cost $35 and are available at Barbee & Sons, 1936 Grace Ave., in Fort Myers; Sam Galloway Ford, 1800 Boy Scout Drive in Fort Myers; and the Southwest Florida Historical Society, at 10091 McGregor Blvd., which is on the campus of the Lee County Alliance for the Arts. The Southwest Florida Historical Society hours are 9 a.m. to noon and 4 -7 p.m. on Wednesdays, and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.
Checks may also be mailed to the Southwest Florida Historical Society, P. O. Box 1381, Fort Myers, FL, 33902. Tickets can be picked up at the door on Feb. 18.
The annual Cracker Dinner is sponsored by Barbee & Sons, Sam Galloway Ford, George T. Mann General Contractor and Susan Bennett Marketing & Media, L.C.
Funds raised at the annual dinner will be used to support the mission of the Southwest Florida Historical Society.
About the Southwest Florida Historical Society
The Southwest Florida Historical Society (SWFLHS) was established in 1960 by a group of citizens to “preserve the history of our area.” In 1983 the SWFLHS received as a gift a building that was destined to be demolished for a new parking lot. Harper Brothers Construction donated the building and Flint and Doyle was contracted to move the building to the campus of the Lee County Alliance of the Arts. In 1984 the SWFLHS received its Articles of Incorporation with the following purpose: “The mission of the society is to discover, collect and preserve original and source documents, maps and photographs pertaining to the history of SW Florida;
to bring together those interested in the history of this area; to promote and stimulate public interest and appreciation of the history of this area; and to further the preservation and knowledge of Southwest Florida’s past.” For more information, visit www.facebook.com/SWFLHS/ or call 239-939-4044.