Thank you to all
To the editor:
Well, it wasn’t a triathlon – but it still was a lot of fun.
Red tide may have kept competitors out of the water for the Galloway Captiva Triathlon, but it could not keep them from doing their best and having a good time the entire race weekend. Whether it was the kids and adults trying a tri for the first time or the seasoned competitors enjoying the race one more time, there were plenty of smiles mixed in with the sand and sweat.
Amid beautiful weather, the kids’ race on Sept. 15 and the sprint event on Sept. 16 went off gloriously. The athletes certainly won and so did spectators – but the big winner were Lee County’s hungry kids served by Community Cooperative’s Healthy School Pantry and Backpack program. Among other things, the program sends backpacks home with kids on weekends so they have food to eat when school isn’t in session to provide them with breakfast and lunch. The $45,000 donation from this year’s Galloway Captiva Tri will fund more than six months of the program.
All this was made possible by the registration fees, our fantastic volunteers and our terrific sponsors:
– First, the Galloway Family of Dealerships, our title sponsor again this year.
– Lee County Sports Development, our sprint event sponsor
– Attorney Jason Gunter, the children’s event sponsor
– South Seas Island Resort, the official resort
– Geared Up Multisport Specialists, the official coach
– Lee Health, swim caps sponsor
– Jason’s Deli, food sponsor
– Sanibel-Captiva Beach Resorts
– Billy’s Bike Rentals (also offering good deals on race rentals)
– Suncoast Beverages (beer provider)
– Key Lime Bistro and Cantina Captiva
– Trek Bicycle Store (also offering good deals on race rentals)
– Doc Ford’s Rum Bar & Grille
– Jensens Twin Palms and Jensens on the Gulf
– Sunset Grill
– R.S. Walsh Landscaping
– Sunny Island Adventures
We were kept safe by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, the Captiva Island Fire Control District, Lee County EMS and lifeguards from the Lee County Parks and Recreation Department.
In particular, we want to thank the residents of Captiva, who are so generous to let us close their road for two hours during the race; the Captiva and Sanibel athletes who participated this year; the volunteers; and the Captiva sponsors. It takes a community to run – yes, pun intended – a great triathlon (or duathlon), and we saw that community spirit again this year.
Galloway Captiva Tri and Southwest Florida Events