The Community House
The Community House, at 2173 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel, presents the following:
Kids Cooking is held on the first Monday of each month, except March, from October through May from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. Resident Chief Jarred Harris will teach fundamental nutritional cooking skills and help students develop basic kitchen awareness and food preparation. The culturally-based menus will stress healthy and nutritious whole foods. Students will make the items, then sit down for a meal together. Cost is $50 per class, $175 for four classes or $375 for series; some scholarships will be available due to sponsorships by the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs and private citizens. Prepaid registration with required paperwork is encouraged. The following class menus are planned:
– Oct. 1: Breakfast apple flapjacks, homemade granola, potato pancakes, omelets and pumpkin muffins
– Nov. 5: Oven-roasted tomato basil soup, butternut squash bisque, bean and vegetable cassoulet, bread sticks, and turkey and dumplings
– Dec. 3: Gingerbread and sugar cookie ornaments, caramel-covered cream puff towers and chocolate truffles
– Jan. 7: Homemade cheese ravioli, fettuccine, cheese sauce, tomato sauce, and cannoli and cream
– Feb. 4: Homemade sushi rolls, chicken teriyaki and vegetable tempura
– March 1: Caribbean bean soup, curried chicken and roti, pineapple-glazed fish, coconut and vegetable stew, and banana fritters and honey
– April 1: Vegetable quesadillas, chicken tamales, fish tacos, homemade salsa and guacamole, and fried ice cream and churros
– May 6: Surprise menu
French baker Andre Gratesol will teach a cooking demonstration and hands-on cooking class on Oct. 5 from 10 a.m. to noon. Using puff pastry dough, participants will make ham and cheese appetizers, fruit tarts with fruit on pastry crme covered with an apricot glaze and palmiers. Cost is $50 per session. Advance registration required.
Hands-on Cooking Class
Chef Jarred Harris will teach a hands-on cooking class on “Simple Classics” on Oct. 10 from 10 a.m. to noon. The menu will include beet, goat cheese and caramelized onion tart, asparagus and pumpkin risotto cakes, chargrilled vegetable cassoulet, classic chocolate tart and winter berries. Cost is $50 for members and $60 for guests. Advance registration required.
Resident Chef Jarred Harris will provide a cooking demonstration on Oct. 11 from 4 to 6 p.m. The menu will feature mussels in white wine, garlic, shallots and cream with crispy polenta fries, osso bucco, horseradish dumplings, and cranberry pear charlotte with cinnamon ice cream. Cost is $35 for members and $50 for guests. Advance registration required.
Resident Chef Jarred Harris will provide a cooking demonstration on Oct. 25 from 4 to 6 p.m. The menu will feature lentil pate, toasted brioche and pear chutney, seafood stew and grilled focaccia, and frozen lemon souffl. Cost is $35 for members and $50 for guests. Advance registration required.
French baker Andre Gratesol will teach a cooking demonstration and hands-on cooking class on Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to noon. Cost is $50 per session. Advance registration required.
To register, contact email@example.com or 239-472-2155. Those interested in donating toward the scholarships can contact Executive Director Teresa Riska-Hall at 239-472-2155.
For more information, visit online at sanibelcommunityhouse.net.