Registration now open for BIG ARTS Summer Camp
Registration is open for the 2018 BIG ARTS Summer Camp, a six-week program of visual and performing arts with activities inspired by weekly themes.
It will run June 11 to July 27 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
“Campers love the diverse creative outlet throughout the day,” Erin Peter, the organizer for the camp for the past four years, said.
Campers in first through fifth grade create art projects – pottery is a favorite – and participate in music and theater classes taught by professional instructors. On Fridays, artwork is exhibited and campers put on a performance, combining music and theater, for parents to enjoy.
“It’s very exciting for the kids to showcase their hard work,” Peter said.
This year’s weekly themes are:
– Superheroes Assemble – Join forces to save the world of art, music and theater
– Futuristic Fun – Design the future of your wildest dreams
– Welcome to the Jungle – Explore the animal kingdom
– Spirit Week – Fun Hat Monday, Wacky Sock Tuesday, Holiday Wednesday, Pajama Thursday and Future Self Friday
– Got Talent – Use unique talents to create art and teach each other new tricks
– Pack Your Passport – An art adventure around the globe
And, there is a special role for campers in middle and high school: apprenticing the younger campers to earn community service hours. The older campers join the staff in setting up activities for the day and participating and interacting with the young campers.
There is also a second summer apprentice program that includes participating in classes, such as learning drawing, painting and sculpting with unconventional materials. Apprentices may volunteer, participate in classes or both. BIG ARTS tailors the apprentice and young campers’ program.
“We see a lot of campers return every year with some growing into the apprentice program and one returning as our theater teacher,” Peter said. “However, we always enjoy seeing new faces join us.”
Those interested are encouraged to register early as the program sells out fast. Parents can download registration forms at www.BIGARTS.org or register in person at BIG ARTS, at 900 Dunlop Road.