COTI recognizes Johnson as its Citizen of the Year
The Committee of the Islands presented Richard Johnson with its Citizen of the Year Award at the organization’s 43rd annual meeting on March 21.
President Mike Miller gave him with a Luc Century sculpture commemorating the honor.
Vice President Mike Gillespie explained that the award recognizes a Sanibel resident who has demonstrated extraordinary community service through a long record of volunteer activities.
Johnson’s involvement has included:
– Sanibel Historical Village advisory council
– Sanibel City Charter Review Committee member (2018)
– Chamber of Commerce board of directors (2006-2012)
– Sanibel Lions Club president (2007-2008)
– Sanibel Community Association vice president
– Sanibel Planning Commission
– Community Housing and Resources president
Gillespie also pointed out that Johnson and his wife, co-owners of Bailey’s General Store, have contributed through Bailey’s. They have long supported CROW, F.I.S.H., Friends Who Care, START, SCCF, shell museum, historical village, BIG ARTS and essentially every organization on-island.
The Johnsons also sponsor Islands Night at Hammond Stadium, also known as Coach’s Team in honor of the late Sam Bailey, to raise awareness and funds for charities and scholarships on the island.