homepage logo

Cape man accused of firing gun in apartment

By Staff | Feb 19, 2018

A Cape Coral man faces a pair of gun-related charges after police say he discharging a firearm inside his apartment, with a “round traveling just over the heads of his sleeping neighbors in the next door apartment.”

Ivan Bakh, 61, of 3420 Skyline Blvd., was charged with shooting into a dwelling and reckless discharge of a firearm in a public or private place after police say neighbors discovered four bullet holes after being awakened by “a loud bang.”

Cape Coral police answering the 8:50 a.m. call were told the couple found a large hole in the headboard of their bed, just over their heads; another hole in the dresser mirror at the foot of their bed; a hole in the adjacent living room behind a mirror and an additional hole on the far wall of their living room.

Officers then made contact with Bakh.

“Bakh’s apartment was cleared by officers to make sure no one was injured; no one else was located inside the residence,” the CCPD stated in a release. “While clearing the home officers observed a large hole in the wall leading to the couple’s apartment. An officer observed a large thick book propped up on top of a shelf with several rounds penetrating it, which appeared to have been used as a target. A target was drawn on the books in red marker.”

A search warrant was obtained.

“A search of the residence by detectives with the Major Crimes Unit revealed a target drawn with a red marker located on the wall leading to the couple’s apartment,” the release states. “The target was made of multiple books taped together. The target was shot with three rounds and appeared to have been penetrated by one or more of the rounds. A 9mm casing was located in the hallway between the bathroom and the bedroom of Bakh’s residence. Also located inside the home was a safe containing a 9mm Glock. The rounds located inside the magazine of the Glock handgun were a match to the 9mm spent casing located on the ground inside the residence.”

Bakh was transported to the Lee County Jail where he remained as of Monday afternoon.