Deadline approaching for several DDWS scholarships
The application deadline for about 14 scholarships from the “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society – ranging from $1,000, to $1,500 or more each – is March 31.
High school seniors, college students and graduate students in or from Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties pursuing degrees in environmental-related studies can apply.
The scholarships will be awarded at a special ceremony at the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel in June.
This is the 12th year that DDWS will award scholarships. The program began in 2005 with scholarship awards in 2006 from the Tarpon Bay Explorers, the refuge’s official recreation concession.
To date, DDWS has awarded $90,000.
“Tarpon Bay Explorers started the program by offering two $1,000 scholarships in 2005,” DDWS Executive Director Birgie Miller said. “When four applicants turned out to be highly deserving, they doubled their commitment that year. Through the years, co-owner Wendy Schnapp has increased her annual contribution to $5,000 and has awarded 41 scholarships.
“We applaud Tarpon Bay’s commitment to conservation education, always generous support of the refuge and effective seeding of a program that now annually awards up to $15,000 to local students,” she said.
Interested students can find more information and the printable application forms at dingdarlingsociety.org/articles/student-scholarships.
It is still possible to honor friends and family members with a conservation scholarship in their name. To learn more, contact Birgie Miller at 239-472-1100 ext. 4 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Named scholarships to date for 2018 include:
– Richard Bailey Memorial Scholarships (two scholarships)
– Mike and Terry Baldwin Scholarship
– Dr. Andrew and Laura Dahlem Scholarship
– Dr. H. Randall Deming Scholarship for Conservation and Environmental Studies (permanently endowed scholarship)
– Hans and Leslie Fleischner Scholarship (two scholarships)
– Mary Elaine Jacobson Memorial Scholarship
– Francine Litofsky Scholarship
– Tarpon Bay Explorers Scholarships (four scholarships)
– Jane Werner Environmental Scholarship (permanently endowed scholarship)