Sanibel to hold annual Luminary Festival Friday
Periwinkle Way on Sanibel will be lit up for the 33rd annual Luminary Festival Friday, Dec. 1, from 5:30 to 9 p.m.
During Luminary, The Sanibel-Captiva Rotary Club and the Sanibel Captiva Kiwanis Club come together to distribute paper bags lit with candles along Peri-winkle Way. The Sanibel-Captiva Lions Club serves as the cleanup crew.
For the festival, island businesses offer refreshments, food, live music and special holiday sales.
“Luminary is a community event that brings together residents, visitors, businesses and organizations. Residents and visitors come out to this event to shop at our small businesses and eat at our local restaurants while enjoying the holiday activities that take place during Luminary,” said Ashley Gibbons, member services manager at the Sanibel & Captiva Islands Chamber of Commerce.
The following businesses will be participating in this year’s Luminary Festival:
East End: Pinocchio’s and Lighthouse Caf:
* Pinocchio’s: Roasted Chest-nuts, sparkling cider, and handcrafted frozen confections
* Geppetto’s: Holiday savory appetizers and bakery sweets
* Sanibel Sea School: Enjoy drinks, snacks and music. The Sanibel Sea School will also offer 10 percent off retail items
* Lighthouse Cafe: Hot dogs and fun
* Tuttles Seahorse Shell Shop: Music with Punda Melia at 5 p.m.
Jerry’s Shopping Center:
* Jerry’s Center: Pictures with Santa, wine tasting, cookies, hot dogs and soda
* Sanibel Community Church: Walk Through Bethlehem, live nativity and refreshments
* Live music by Brett Cox
* Adventures in Paradise: Hors d’oeuvres and drinks
* Cip’s Place: Light refreshments
* Children’s Education Center of the Islands Choir – 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
* Pictures with Santa by the playground – 6 to 7:30 p.m.
* Live music from Malibu Duo and the Megan Rose Duo – 6 to 9 p.m.
All stores will provide refreshments.
St. Michael & All Angels Church
* Christmas carolers, hot cider and cookies
* Live music by Rich Lancaster
Olde Sanibel Shoppes:
* Live music by Riverside Brass
* Suncatcher’s Dream: Food and drinks
* Island Paws: Refreshments
Bailey’s Shopping Center:
* Bailey’s General Store: Wine tasting, refreshments, hors d’oeuvres and live music by FGCU Jazz Combo
* George & Wendy’s Seafood Grille: Live music starting at 6 p.m., and appetizers and refreshments
* Joey’s Custard: Desserts, candy and hot chocolate
* Cottages To Castles: Refreshments and desserts
* Whims on Periwinkle: Refreshments
McCallion & McCallion Realty:
* Live music, hors d’oeuvres & wine
Three Crafty Ladies:
* Refreshments and 15 percent off any purchase of $25 or more
Tarpon Tale Inn:
* Chocolate dipped holiday Oreo pops
Parking is available at the participating shopping centers. The title sponsor for this year is the Island Inn. Chris Davison, general manager of the Island Inn, has sponsored the event for the past seven years.
“Luminary is such a great occasion for both visitors and residents of all ages. The Island Inn is proud to sponsor this annual tradition and help foster the spirit of the holidays,” Davison said.
Other sponsors for the festival include Sanibel Captiva Beach Resorts, Bank of the Islands, St. Michael & All Angels Episcopal Church, Sanibel Captiva Community Bank, Jerry’s, The Islander, the Island Sun and the Santiva Chronicle.