Candidate bios: District 1
The General Election for the Cape Coral City Council District 1 seat features two candidates, John Gunter and Graham Madison Morris: *
* Candidate name: John Gunter
* Cape Coral City Council-District 1
* Age: 54
* Education/degrees: N/A
* Occupation and place of employment: CEO, and President, of Gulf Coast Premier Homes Inc.
* Time in the district in which you are running/years of residency: 10 years
* Business experience applicable to the office you are seeking: 30-year business owner in Commercial & Residential Development; Completed projects over $5 million; employment of 35-40 employees
Early in work career served a police officer for seven years and was elected to be president of the Fraternal Order of Police in his county.
* Political Experience/offices held: Never held elected office
* Civic/Community involvement:
VP of my Home Owner Association
Youth football coach for five years
Volunteered/Donated/Participated/ and constructed for several projects in “Homes for our Troops”
* Family: Married to wife Teresa for 19 years (together for 24); four adult children together, and one son who will be a senior in high school this year.
* Website where voters can find more information:
* Graham Madison Morris
* Seat sought/district: Cape Coral City Council, District 1
* Age: 32
Associate of Arts (Edison) Florida Southwestern College
Florida Southwestern College, B.A.S in Public Safety Administration (Expected completion Spring 2018)
* Occupation and place of employment: Independent Graphics Artist & Videography
* Time in the district in which you are running/years of residency: Resident of Cape Coral (and district) for 12 years
* Business experience applicable to the office you are seeking:
Owned and Managed a restaurant in Texas, managed over 20 employees, handling all aspects of Restaurant administration including budgeting, HR, Customer Service.
Experience in policy and procedure creation for nonprofit and political entities
NASA itech initiative semifinalist (national open call to public to submit engineering ideas to help fill technological gaps for the mission to mars)
* Political Experience/offices held: No office held, prior experience in policy for local, state and federal campaigns.
* Civic/Community involvement:
Recent Planning and Zoning commissioner – 3 years.
Charter Review Commission – 1 year (5 of 8 referendums passed by ballot vote in 2015)
Former Cape Coral Civic Association President – 2 years
Helped manage 2016 Cape Coral Tornado Community Cleanup Effort
Well-read and well-informed of city issues.
* Family: Wife, Melissa; Parents, Don & Medley Morris; Dog: Atlas
* Military Experience: None
Website where voters can find more information on your candidacy:
* Editor’s Note: All biographical information provided by the candidates
– GENERAL, Nov. 7, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Voter Registration Book Closes, Oct. 10 (Last day to register to vote in the General Election)
* Early Voting (General Election), Oct. 30-31 and Nov. 1-4
– Lee County Elections Cape Coral Branch Office, 1031 S.E. 9th Place Unit 3
– Cape Coral Library, 921 S.W. 39th Terrace
– Voter registration:
Applications are available online at www.leeelections.com, at all Lee County libraries, and other locations including Cape Coral City Hall at 1015 Cultural Park Blvd., Cape Coral Chamber of Commerce at 2051 Cape Coral Parkway, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, and all Lee County Supervisor of Elections offices including the one in the Cape at 1031 S.E. 9th Place Unit 3 A full list is available at www.leeelections.com.