South Seas Island Resort expected to reopen today
As the result of the hard work of South Seas Island Resort employees they are opening a week earlier than expected, on Wednesday, Sept. 20.
The message was shared on the resort’s Facebook page Thursday, Sept. 14, from the Regional Managing Director Bob Walter.
“Our employees worked tirelessly to restore resort operations and our local power company, LCEC, worked night and day to restore power to Captiva Island. Thank you again to our social media family across the globe for the outpouring of support it means the world to us,” he wrote on Facebook.
The day prior, Wednesday, Sept. 13, South Seas Island Resort was not expected to reopen for guests until Tuesday, Sept. 26, due to damage from Hurricane Irma.
“While we are incredibly fortunate that South Seas Island Resort was spared insurmountable damage, we did sustain considerable damage to grounds and facilities, including the loss of two majestic banyan trees, downed power lines and water damage to guestrooms. With over 300 acres and three miles of coastline, we have yet to assess the entire property. We will do so in the coming days, at which point we’ll have a clearer understanding of the recovery efforts needed to bring the resort back to working order,” Walter said in a prepared statement. “Most importantly though, all employees are safe, as their well-being has been our priority from the very beginning.”
South Seas Island Resort Director of Public Relations Amanda Duff said the guest rooms that took on water were located at Harborside.
Friday before the storm was to hit, all guests were relocated to safety, so employees and families could be evacuated.
“We’re enormously grateful for the outpouring of support we’ve seen via social media over the last week, from as close to home as Captiva Island to as far as the Netherlands’,” Walter said in a prepared statement.
Duff said before Hurricane Irma was expected to take landfall, some preparation took place. The valves in some of the buildings were turned off pre-hurricane, so they wouldn’t burst. Anything located outside, such as patio furniture, outdoor seating and beach chairs were also removed.
Duff said maintenance vehicles were also secured on higher grounds away from trees.
“That was a big undertaking,” she said.
The sixth hole on the golf course was lost, as well as the footpath around the hole. As far as they knew Wednesday the marina had no damage. The beach is in fairly good shape, with some erosion taking place, which is expected after a hurricane of that magnitude.
“The property is still in the process of being assessed, so there may be something we don’t know of yet. We expect that full assessment will be completed over the next four to five days,” Duff said.
Some of the core staff of South Seas made their way back to the island on Monday after the Causeway reopened. Duff said primarily managers, as well as members of the resort’s excellent grounds crew, engineering team, some F&B staffers who are feeding employees, as well as some housekeeping employees are back on the grounds.
“The landscaping teams have been incredible in terms of cleaning the debris from the property. Our team members are working so hard to clear things,” Duff said.
In addition, the 22 pools are also undergoing the cleanup effort. She said the pools need to be completely cleared.
All cancellation fees will be waived through Sept. 26, and South Seas Island Resort will work with guests to rebook their stay. Those who need help can call 866-565-5089.