A++ hurricane preparedness and recovery
To the editor:
We would like to commend City of Sanibel leaders Kevin Ruane, Judie Zimomra, Bill Dalton and Keith Williams plus dedicated city staff as well as partners Lee County Electrical Coop and Sanibel Water for the fantastic execution of their Pre- and Post-Hurricane plans and especially for the outstanding communication with residents.
Starting on Sept. 5, five days before Irma made landfall, the first pre-storm communication was sent to residents and posted on the City website. This continued with a total of 23 updates about city preparations leading up to the storm. The last one included information on what to expect post-storm in the way of search and rescue, city-wide structural inspection and electrical/water system damage assessment prior to re-entry.
Starting on Sept. 10, just hours after the storm passed, over 30 post-storm updates have been sent keeping everyone informed of the status of island services and progress of recovery operations.
* Every city street, public and private was cleared of vegetative debris within a few days.
* Water and sewer to every island residence was restored by Sept. 14
* Electrical power was 94 percent restored by Sept.17.
* Several city facilities were opened to residents and workers providing air conditioned space for sleeping, cooling off, recharging and showers.
* Free K-8 childcare was offered while Lee County Schools were closed.
We a deeply appreciate everyone’s unstinting efforts in this trying time. THANK YOU!
Bill and Shelley Greggs