CCFD Hurricane Irma update: Wednesday evening
UPDATE# 4 – Evening Briefing
DATE: Wednesday, Sept 6
Good evening Cape Coral. Preparations are continuing as Irma inches closer to Florida. The Cape Coral Fire Department has the following new information on government office closures to share at this time.
CANCELLATIONS AND CLOSURES:
* City Hall will be closed on Thursday and Friday (9/7 & 9/8).
* Thursday’s (9/7) first public hearing on the City budget has been canceled. Re-schedule date is TBD.
* Monday’s (9/11) special and regular City Council meetings have been canceled.
* All Parks and Recreation programs through the weekend have been canceled.
* No major incidents to report. Traffic around gas stations continues to be congested. Drivers should expect delays and allot extra time if you are trying to find and buy fuel.
* No mandatory evacuations have been ordered at this time. That said, once winds reach 40 MPH sustained, emergency services will be suspended. 9-1-1 will still take calls and add them to a queue. Calls will be triaged and will be responded to once operations have resumed. Cape Coral City Government is urging residents to voluntarily evacuate ahead of the storm.
* As a reminder, not all shelters open for every storm and shelter openings are based on storm characteristics like wind and storm surge. No shelters are open at this time.
* Residents should continue to prepare by having a family disaster/evacuation plan, making sure their disaster supply kits are ready and by staying informed so they are ready to act when those evacuation orders are given.
* A call-down of the Special Needs Registry is being completed today to determine evacuation support requirements for our Special Needs clients. Per the Lee County Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan, the Lee County Special Needs Registry closes once we are included in the five-day storm cone. Information about a special needs shelter will be available soon.
As we get additional information from Lee County, we will provide updates.
For the latest information visit www.capecoral.net/hurricane. Updated safety safety information and tips can be found under the “Preparedness and Safety Tips” tab.
Source: Cape Coral Fire Department