Wellness Center to introduce Healthy Life Series
Starting in August, the Wellness Center of Cape Coral will offer a new set of health programs.
Lee Health announced on Wednesday that the center, in partnership with the health system’s Healthy Life Center at Coconut Point, is preparing to kick off its new Healthy Life Series for free to the public. The educational programs and screenings that will be available will focus on a range of health topics.
“It’s programming that’s dedicated to improving health, as opposed to treating illness,” Molly Grubbs, director of the Healthy Life Center, said. “The concept is really to keep people out of the hospital.”
Described as daily preventative and restorative programming, the offerings have been available to visitors at the Healthy Life Center at Coconut Point since the facility opened in December 2015.
“We actually have people coming from as far away as Pine Island, and Cape Coral and Fort Myers,” she said. “It was alarming to see how many people were traveling all the way from Cape Coral to take advantage of the programming.”
As a result, Lee Health decided to incorporate the popular programs into the Cape center’s existing programming, which promotes an active lifestyle by offering exercise classes, boot camps and more.
“We’re going to come in and complement them and offer the educational component,” Grubbs said. “To make it more convenient and provide access to the residents living in that area.”
Some of the topics covered by the new series will include nutrition, chronic disease prevention, integrated medicine, arthritis, sleep and stress reduction. All of the programs are open to the public.
“They do not have to pay to attend any of the Healthy Life Series events,” she said.
The following programs and screenings are planned for the first month:
* Aug. 2: Free blood pressure screenings from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
* Aug. 7: “Stress Management” from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
* Aug. 8: “Healthy Weight Management for Cancer Prevention” from 11 a.m. to noon
* Aug. 9: “New Advances in Hip and Knee Replacements,” with Dan Harmon, from 4 to 5 p.m.
* Aug. 10: Free balance screenings from 10 a.m. to noon
* Aug. 14: “10-Day Detox and Seeds Kick-Off,” with Heather Auld, from 4 to 6 p.m.
* Aug. 15: “Step WiseLee – Fall Prevention Education” from 11 a.m. to noon
* Aug. 15: “Achieving Overall Health: Exercise vs. Physical Activity” from 5 to 6 p.m.
* Aug. 22: “Can’t Sleep? Yoga Nidra May Be Your Answer” from 4 to 4:45 p.m.
* Aug. 24: “Living Strong with a Weak Heart: Basics of Heart Failure” from 10 to 11 a.m.
* Aug. 24: “Pet Health and Nutrition” from 4 to 5 p.m.
* Aug. 31: “Diagnosis and Treatment of Shoulder Problems,” with John Mehalik, from 5 to 6 p.m.
Grubbs noted that seating will be limited for the events.
“It’s ideal if they register,” she said.
Upcoming events can be found at Lee Health’s website at: www.leehealth.org/.
According to Grubbs, public feedback on the series has been positive.
“It’s really been influential in changing the way people are living,” she said.
“It’s really just being a resource for the community,” Grubbs added.
The Cape center will also be launching a Mind & Body Program on Aug. 1. The program aims to introduce the foundations and benefits of yoga, as well as mindfulness, stress relief and mental clarity. The program will include hatha yoga, yogalates, strength and balance, children’s yoga and others.
Classes start at 5:45 a.m. and run on the hour in the morning, with two evening sessions available. There also will be workshops and other events to enhance individual practice, according to officials.
The Mind & Body Program is fee-based and is open to members and non-members.
“The Mind & Body Program offers a variety of classes, workshops and events that will help anyone – whether new to yoga or a seasoned student – build strength, balance and flexibility, while enhancing the mind-body connection,” Justin Klein, manager of the Wellness Center of Cape Coral, said in a statement.
To register for a Healthy Life Series event, call 239-495-4475.
For information about the center, call 239-424-3220.
The Wellness Center of Cape Coral is at 609 S.E. 13th Court.