homepage logo

Cape residents left with unfinished homes when contractor files for financial restructuring

By Staff | Jul 12, 2016

Some Cape Coral homeowners who were stuck with unfinished homes when Aranda Homes pulled a disappearing act, are actually getting some help, but mostly are left to fend for themselves.

At least six area homes were started by Aranda Homes, which went out of business suddenly. Subcontractors stopped working on the properties because they were not getting paid.

Royal Air Systems owner Charlie Dellroso has offered to supply Robert Pott with an air conditioning system for free. He provided systems for Aranda, but stopped because of their poor payment history.

“I gave them the calculations today, so we’ll see what happens. I have trust issues right now,” said Pott, one of those under contract with Aranda Homes who filed a complaint report with Cape Coral Police. “I have another contractor who offered me the use of his subcontractors.”

Construction began on Pott’s house last October and is well past the contracted completion date 180 days later. He said he paid almost all of the construction costs up front.

A news release in December 2014 indicated Andolino & Associates in North Palm Beach was doing a financial restructuring of Aranda Homes through closed capital investment and management changes, but Aranda owner Dominick Izzo would remain as its CEO.

Phone calls to Andolino & Associates in North Palm Beach went unanswered.

“The lawyers were the worst to deal with and took off,” said Pott. “I’m stuck painting baseboards and other work with help from a friend. I’m not giving up. Now I have to pay twice and build once.”

City public information manager Connie Barron said Aranda’s permitting privileges have been canceled.

“The two license holders are gone, non-responsive and no longer working for Aranda,” Barron said. “There is nothing more (the city) can do but notify the state. The property owners are on their own to finish their respective projects and we gave them contact information with the state to see what assistance may be available.”