The annual Cape Coral Firefighters’ ‘boot’ drive begins today, continues through the weekend
Cape Coral firefighters hit the streets this morning to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
The partnership between Cape Coral Professional Firefighters Local 2424 and the MDA serves to benefit children and adults affected by muscle disease throughout the Southwest Florida area. Funds raised through the Fill the Boot drive help support MDA’s programs of worldwide research, specialized health care services, and day-to-day support which includes sending children affected by muscular dystrophy and related diseases to a weeklong, barrier-free MDA summer camp at no cost to their families at Rotary Camp in Brandon. Last year, even in the rain, with the help and generosity of Cape Coral residents, Local 2424 was able to raise $27,097 during the Fill the Boot drive and send 33 kids to camp. Firefighters are hoping for better weather and an even more successful outcome from this year’s drive.
This weekend – March 11, 12, and 13- from 8 a.m. 6 p.m., Cape Coral firefighters will be at the following intersections throughout the Cape working to “Fill the Boot:”
* Veterans Pkwy. and Santa Barbara Blvd.
* Cape Coral Pkwy. and Del Prado Blvd.
* Del Prado Blvd. and Pine Island Rd.
* Del Prado Blvd. and Hancock Bridge Pkwy.
* Del Prado Blvd. and Veterans Pkwy.
* Chiquita Blvd. and Cape Coral Pkwy.
* Diplomat Pkwy. and Del Prado Blvd.
* Pine Island Rd. and Nicholas Pkwy.
* Del Prado Blvd. and Kismet Pkwy.
* Gleason Pkwy. and Skyline Blvd.