Under the Sea’ will be biggest fundraiser for Shell Museum
The most important fundraiser for the Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum will feature a golden oldie theme, called “Under the Sea” 1960’s Beach Party, Sunday, Jan. 25, from 5-10 p.m. at The Sanctuary Golf Club on Sanibel Island.
The attire will be that of ’60s surfing with live surf music provided by the Island Dog Band.
“It’s the biggest event we do all year,” said the Shell Museum’s marketing and events manager Katie Ball. “The proceeds will benefit our education programs, which is a great thing, because the programs are for all ages.”
Each year, the Shell Museum runs their big fundraiser with different themes, with the results being very positive. Ultimately, the end results are the strong and interesting educational programs the Museum can offer for the rest of the year.
“The event is our most challenging, but yet most rewarding, one of the year,” Ball said. “We are dependent on donations for these programs, so the fundraiser is important.”
The main sponsors of the event is the Sanibel Captiva Trust Company, while the “Lion’s Paw Sponsor” is Lily Co. of Sanibel.
Of course, the event also couldn’t be organized and run without all the volunteer hours spent by countless people.
People such as Phyllis Sharp, who runs the auction and has for quite some time, are vital for the fundraiser.
“There are volunteers who work on setting the event up and can’t attend and those who attend and work the event,” Ball added. “Our ultimate goal is to have 170 people in attendance.”
The cost is $135 per person and tables can be reserved for 10 to 12 people.
For more information, contact Ball at 239-395-2233, extension 16 or by email at email@example.com.
Some live auction items up for bid at “Under the Sea”:
- 1. CATERED BAILEY’S DINNER: Enjoy a one-of-a-kind experience with a catered “vintage” dinner by Baileys. Chef-designed and paired with fabulous vintage wines. This intimate and memorable evening can be served in your home or another Sanibel location.
- 2. CATERED TIMBERS DINNER: Savor a spectacular seafood dinner catered by Chef Teh of The Timbers. Paired with specially selected wines.
- 3. CATERED DINNER FOR FOUR at IL CIELO: Impress the best with a dinner for four at Il Cielo, personally designed and hosted by Chef Neil. You’ve heard the buzz about the fabulous seasonal and locally-grown goodies being used, but imagine your very own catered meal for 4!
- 4.SAILING CRUISE MINI-VACATION FOR FOUR: Enjoy an unforgettable cruise from Sanibel Marina to South Seas aboard the Hipschmans’ Catalina 350 sailboat, followed by an overnight at South Seas and dinner at Doc Ford’s. A limo will carry you back to get your car.
- 5. SUNSET CRUISE for 49 GUESTS: TAKE 49 of YOUR FAVORITE PEOPLE ON A SUNSET CRUISE! Revel in the local natural beauty of San Carlos Bay and Pine Island Sound aboard the Adventures in Paradise 45-foot catamaran.
- 6. Become immortalized in scientific history–Have a new species of fossil shell named after you by a Smithsonian curator!
- 7. ART GLASS: Take pride in owning a unique art-glass vase created by Fulbright award-winning artist, David Leppla.
- 8.ST. AUGUSTINE TRIP: Take a breather in beautiful and historical St.. Augustine! If you’re the winning bidder of this mini-vacation you’ll receive hotel, a full moon tour of the lighthouse and dinner for two.
- 9. LILY’S JEWELRY: Win a $2,500 shopping spree at Lily’s Jewelry! Make the winning bid and get the chance to be a kid in a (diamond) candy shop!