Planning OKs development for ‘Beach House’
The Sanibel Planning Commission unanimously passed a Certification of Appropriateness and Development Permit for the reconstruction and reconfiguration of the exterior front entry staircase of what is known as the Beach House, which is at 3526 West Gulf Drive.
The Beach House is listed on the City’s Local Register of Historic Sites and Structures and will have its staircase refurbished to its original look of 1910. The house is owned by William and Jeanie Haas.
The Beach House was built in 1913 by the Sawyer family and was relocated to its current location in 1983. It was included on Sanibel’s Local Register of Historic Sites and Structures in 1992.
The plans for the reconstruction of the staircase to its original look will be built by Building Systems of Southwest Florida Inc. The current straight-style staircase located on the front entrance will be removed and replaced with a mirrored L-shaped style. It will include a quarter landing a third of the way up the stairs.
The material will be made of cypress wood.