homepage logo

Two injured in crash released from hospital

By Staff | Nov 26, 2014

Two people have been released from the hospital after a motorcycle-vehicle crash last week.

Andrew Joseph Gesell, 25, of 1424 S.W. Sixth Ave., and Marlayna F. Gordon, 33, of 105 N.W. 18th Place, had been discharged from Lee Memorial Hospital as of Tuesday, officials reported.

At approximately 8:15 p.m. Nov. 19, Gesell was headed southbound on Chiquita Boulevard on a Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. As Gesell was approaching Embers Parkway, a Toyota Corolla traveling northbound on Chiquita attempted to turn left onto westbound Embers, according to Cape police.

Gesell was reportedly traveling approximately 80 mph to 100 mph in a 45 mph zone.

As the Toyota began to turn, the motorcycle began to skid and was laid down on its side prior to the stop sign. The motorcycle then entered the intersection and collided into the passenger side of the car. Prior to the impact, Gesell was forced off the motorcycle and started to tumble and slide in the road.

The Toyota was forced to the southwest and came to a final rest, according to police. Gesell came to a stop in the northbound lanes of Chiquita on the south side, 200 feet away from the area of impact.

In the collision, the passenger side of the Toyota was forced inward about one and a half feet.

Gesell sustained serious, non-life threatening injuries and was trauma-alerted to the hospital. He reportedly suffered multiple broken bones and severe road rash in the accident.

Gordon, who was a passenger in the Toyota, sustained life-threatening injuries and was also trauma-alerted to the hospital. She reportedly had injuries to her pelvis and right leg.

The driver of the Toyota, Adam R. Chiappardi, 44, of 105 N.W. 18th Place, sustained minor injuries. Also transported to Lee Memorial Hospital, Chiappardi has since been treated and released.

The accident is not alcohol or drug related, according to police.

“Still under investigation, but criminal charges are pending,” Sgt. Dana Coston, spokesman for the Cape Coral Police Department, said Tuesday.