Construction worker ‘shaken’ after equipment nears power line
A contractor working on a road project in northeast Cape Coral was shaken up but uninjured after the earth-moving equipment he was operating came close to high-voltage power lines Monday, causing an electrical arch.
Firefighters from Rescue 5 and Engine 5 along with Battalion Chief Brian Lauer responded to the 1700 block of Corbett Drive near the National Guard facility at 9:15 a.m. Crews arrived to find an excavator that had come in close proximity to overhead power lines while working on adding a turn lane on Corbett Drive, officials said, adding the equipment did not touch the lines.
According to Lauer, a significant electrical arc flash impacted the metal arm of the excavator, giving the male worker a jolt but no serious injuries. The surge conducted over to the metal arm of the excavator, officials said.
An arc flash is a short circuit through air that flashes over from an energized conductor to another conductor, producing intense heat and light.
The patient was conscious during the incident but was “shaken up pretty bad” according to Lauer. He was transported to a local hospital for evaluation by Lee County EMS.
Corbett Drive was blocked off while representatives from the construction company and Lee County Electric Co-op investigated the scene.
There was no sustained fire and no other injuries reported.
Source: Cape Coral Fire Department