Man shocked by power line released from hospital
A man was recently released from the hospital, days after apparently being shocked by a power line.
The man, whose identity had not yet been released Tuesday, was airlifted to a local trauma center June 15 after he was found hanging unconscious and unresponsive from a palm tree that he was trimming.
At 5:34 p.m., the Cape Coral Fire Department responded to a call about a tree trimming accident at 1034 Dolphin Drive that involved contact with the electric power lines. A man on a ladder was cutting branches from a palm tree, which he was secured to with a harness, when a branch hit a power line.
When fire crews arrived, the man was hanging from the tree unconscious, according to officials.
After assuring there was no further contact with the power line, they secured a safety line around the man and his ladder to prevent a fall or additional injury. An aerial ladder was set up for the rescue.
Lee County Electric Cooperative dispatched a truck and provided additional assistance.
The man was safely removed, and Lee County EMS provided care and called for air transport.
The man was discharged from the hospital Thursday, CCFD Battalion Chief Ryan Lamb reported.
According to officials, the fire department responded to about four similar calls in the last year.