Tamiami Trail turns 85
The 85th anniversary of the opening of the Tamiami Trail across the swamp, which took place on April 26, 1928 after a five-year construction effort fraught with difficulties, will be celebrated in historic Everglades City on April 27.
The project has been compared to the building of the Panama Canal and was realized because of the foresight of Barron Gift Collier, the founder of Collier County in 1923.
That day in 1998 also saw the opening of the Museum of the Everglades, thanks to a group of determined local women who wanted to save the old laundry building that dates from 1928. After fundraising and reconstruction, thanks to a grant from the Division of Historical Resources at the Florida Department of State, the museum was handed over to the county to become its first satellite location.
The celebration includes an airport fly-in pancake breakfast, antique cars, parade, old-timers’ story-telling, guided historical walk, plus activities in McLeod Park, such as a fish fry, arts & crafts, and live music.
The day culminates with afternoon tea and birthday cake.
For more information, call (239) 695-0008 or visit www.evergladesmuseum.org.