homepage logo

Man hospitalized after traffic accident dies

By Staff | Jan 2, 2013

A man who was hospitalized about two weeks ago after he struck a tree in Cape Coral in his pickup truck and was ejected has died from his injuries.

As of Monday, hospital officials reported that Wayne S. Moncrief, 37, of 4301 Ballard Road, Fort Myers, had passed away at Lee Memorial Hospital.

He was taken to the facility after the crash with incapacitating injuries.

At 11:59 p.m. Dec. 19, Moncrief was driving a Dodge Ram east on Gleason Parkway when he crossed Skyline Boule-vard. According to a report from the Cape police, he lost control of the truck after crossing Skyline.

The Dodge veered off the road to the right, entered a residential yard and crossed the intersection at Gleason and Southwest Seventh Place. The truck then crossed the eastbound lanes of Gleason and entered a grass median.

The front right corner of the Dodge struck a tree, causing the truck to spin around and strike another tree. Moncrief was ejected during the collisions.

He was treated on scene before being trauma-alerted to the hospital.

According to the report, Moncrief was not wearing a seat belt and he was exceeding the road’s posted speed limit – 45 mph – at the time.

Police suspected alcohol played a role and a blood sample was taken.

Cape fire officials previously reported that fire crews were called to the scene as the Dodge had caught on fire after crashing into the trees.

Firefighters extinguished the vehicle fire.

According to one witness, Cape resident Carol Orr Hartman, she was walking her dog at about 11:30 p.m. when a truck, headed eastbound on Southwest 32nd Terrace, sped past her before turning left onto Southwest 11th Court.

She said a police vehicle was following, close behind the truck.

Soon after, Hartman heard a loud noise and observed a truck on fire in the 700 block of Gleason. It appeared to have hit pine trees in the median.

Lt. Tony Sizemore, the spokesman for the Cape police, confirmed Monday that the accident is under administrative review and that it is routine.

“As is standard, the crash is under investigation,” he said.

According to the report, debris from the Dodge struck a parked car, garage door and mailbox during the accident. Damages are estimated at $2,600.

Hartman is a photographer for the Breeze Newspapers.