homepage logo

Second man sentenced in home invasion robbery, shooting death of Cape man

By Staff | Jun 27, 2012



A second man received life in prison Wednesday after he was found guilty of a 2010 home invasion robbery in Cape Coral that ended in a fatal shooting.

Timothy Wayne Tuttle Jr., 24, of Fort Myers, was sentenced as a prison releasee re-offender and received a mandatory life sentence, plus 30 years. The state asked that his sentencing be as a prison releasee re-offender.

According to Samantha Syoen, spokeswoman for the State Attorney’s Office, the re-offender distinction increases the potential sentence.

“So that brought life,” she said Wednesday.

Tuttle was found guilty in April of manslaughter with a firearm, attempted home invasion robbery with a firearm and burglary while armed by a jury.

Assistant state attorneys Carrie Pollock and Stephanie Russell prosecuted the case. Local defense attorney Adam Oosterbaan represented Tuttle.

Oosterbaan did not return a message seeking comment Wednesday.

“We’re extremely happy with the life sentence,” Syoen said. “Hopefully, this will help the victim’s family have some closure.”

In July 2010, Tuttle and a second man, Terry Frank Ragland, 27, of Fort Myers, allegedly entered the home of Eric Leigh Stuebinger, 28, of 511 N.W. Second Ave., wearing masks. They allegedly demanded money and drugs.

Stuebinger, whose ex-girlfriend and 17-month-old son were present in the home at the time, fought back against the two men, allegedly pulling Tuttle’s mask off. He was then beaten, zapped with a Taser and shot in the chest.

Ragland and Tuttle fled the scene in a truck, according to documents.

The woman and the toddler were not injured.

In April, Ragland was sentenced to life in prison on his convictions.

Following the 2010 robbery, police allegedly located marijuana, cocaine and prescription pills inside of Stuebinger’s residence during a search of it.

Ragland was later arrested and a warrant was issued for Tuttle’s arrest. Tuttle was eventually captured following a local manhunt that lasted about 24 hours and covered the San Carlos Park area north toward the airport.

During the manhunt, two people were arrested by law enforcement for accessory after-the-fact to second-degree murder for reportedly helping Tuttle by giving him money, water and food, even after being told not to.

The State Attorney’s Office decided not file charges against the two. According to official records, the two cases would have been legally insufficient to prosecute for the state.