Chef Aziz: Try this delicious duck at home
Crispy Duck with Cherries & Port Wine Sauce
Contributed by Chef Aziz and Host Andrea
1 whole duck (about 5-pound duck)
1 cup of cherries
3 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 cup port wine
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 cup of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean and trim any excess fat on the duck, then prick the duck skin all over with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Seat the duck, breast side up, on a roasting pan,and roast for about 40 minutes. Turn it over and continue to roast for 30 more minutes. Turn duck over again (breasts side up), drain off any liquid from the cavity into pan, then continue to roast about another 20 minutes or until the skin is brown and crisp. Total roasting time should be around 1 1/2 hours.
3. Put the sugar and vinegar into a saucepan over medium heat and cook. When it starts to turn golden brown remove immediately from heat and carefully stir in the juice from the cherries, stir again and then add the cherries.
4. Return to the flame, add the chicken broth and whisk over low heat until the caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
5. When the duck is ready, remove it from the oven, set it aside to let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
6. Skim the excess fat from the roasting pan, add port wine and bring to boil over medium heat, scraping up any bits of dripping from the pan. Pour the pan juices in the saucepan with the sauce base and strain it. Bring it to simmer, stir in the corn starch and the chicken stock in a bowl, then whisk it into the simmering sauce to thicken it.
7. Carve the duck and place it on a serving plate. Serve the sauce in a sauceboat and enjoy!
Traditions on the Beach
Traditions on the Beach, Sanibel’s first dining room, located inside the historic Island Inn, has been delighting guests since 1895. Andrea and his team use the finest of fresh, local ingredients to create dishes with vibrant visual and taste appeal. In true Italian-Mediterranean style, the restaurant provides its warmest welcome for the many guests who return year after year for memorable food served in these great beachfront surroundings.
Right on the beach, and famous for its spectacular sunsets, the dining room with its full bar and restful lounge, is steeped in old Florida charm. Traditions On the Beach features live music and entertainment, just right for dancing after a delicious meal.
The beachfront restaurant with live music nightly is located at 3111 West Gulf Drive, for more information call (239) 472-4559 or visit “http://www.TraditionsOnTheBeach.com”>www.TraditionsOnTheBeach.com