Captiva group asks residents to contact governor about Beach Nourishment funding
The Florida Legislature recently approved funding for the top seven beach nourishment projects for FY 2012/13 including Captiva Island. Getting this funding would make Captiva eligible to receive the maximum amount of matching federal funds.
Gov. Scott has the final word and there is concern that he may veto the appropriation for beach nourishment projects when it comes across his desk, officials with the Captiva Erosion Prevention District said in an email sent Friday.
More than $9 million could be lost if the Governor vetoes this funding.
The CEPD asks residents to contact Governor Scott today and reinforce with him the importance of beaches to Florida’s economy and quality of life. Urge him in the strongest possible terms to support funding for Captiva’s beach nourishment project as provided in HB 5001 and regulatory reform for permitting beach nourishment projects as provided in HB 691.
To send an email to the Governor:
1. Click on eog.myflorida.com/ to the Governor’s website
2. Move your cursor to Contact on the banner that appears at the top of the page.
3. A drop down menu appears. Click on CONTACT GOVERNOR SCOTT.
4. Click on Email the Governor on the left hand side of the page.
5. Fill out the form. In the message portion, tell the Governor that you want him to support funding for Captiva’s beach nourishment project as provided in HB 5001 and regulatory reform for permitting beach projects as provided in HB 691.
6. Click on Send.
You can write the Governor:
The Honorable Rick Scott
Governor of Florida
400 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001
You can call the Governor: 850-488-7146