homepage logo

Report: Teen hospitalized after smoking incense

By Staff | Mar 14, 2012

A 14-year-old boy was taken to the hospital Tuesday after he reportedly smoked incense at a Cape Coral home and had an adverse reaction.

At about 1:49 p.m., police responded to a residence in the 1400 block of Southeast 18th Street. According to a report, several youths were smoking incense when the teen started having seizures and became unresponsive.

Upon arrival, the officers were directed inside of the home by two youths standing outside. They were unable to locate the unresponsive boy when they were informed that the teen had taken off running through the backyard.

The teen was located a few streets from the home. The report states that he appeared “very disoriented, pale, was shaking very badly.” His pupils were extremely small, he had slurred speech and he appeared to be “very weak.”

The teen reportedly admitted to smoking an herbal incense called “Fire,” which he turned over to police, who later turned it over to hospital staff.

The boy was transported to HealthPark Hospital due to his condition.

According to the report, the other youths told police that they buy the incense at a smoke shop on Del Prado Boulevard South, and that the employee never asks for their identification when they buy the incense.

Police were later informed that the teen was stable and doing OK.