×
×
homepage logo
STORE

Man sentenced to prison for participation in Cape home invasion robbery

By Staff | Mar 14, 2012

The final person accused in a 2009 home invasion robbery that led to a shootout with Cape Coral police at a local eatery was sentenced to prison.

Mike Borrell, 29, of 3463 C St., Apt. 815, Fort Myers, entered into a plea agreement with prosecutors Tuesday during a pretrial conference. He pled guilty to one charge, burglary while armed actual possession of a firearm.

“He pled to 12 years in prison, followed by eight years of probation,” Samantha Syoen, spokeswoman for the State Attorney’s Office, said.

He was facing one count each of second-degree felony murder, attempted home invasion robbery possessing firearm, burglary while armed possessing firearm and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon possessing firearm.

“We worked with the victims in this case, and the victims were very happy with this resolution,” Syoen said, adding that Borrell is not allowed to have contact with the victims. “He was the last of the defendants in this case.”

If Borrell violates his probation, he faces life in prison.

Assistant state attorney Marie Doerr handled the case.

Defense attorney Adam Oosterbaan represented Borrell.

He did not return a message seeking comment Tuesday.

In December 2009, four men broke into a Cape residence, then got into a shootout with Cape officers at the Steak ‘n Shake on Pine Island Road, East, when police tried to stop their car. One of the men, Tyson Lee Richardson, 21, of Lehigh Acres, was fatally shot by the officers during the incident.

Borrell and the others were charged with murder in Richardson’s death.

Jarrett Delshun Mundle, 21, of 2729 Colonial Blvd., Apt. 206, Fort Myers, received 25 years in prison in October for attempted home invasion robbery possessing a firearm and 15 years in prison for aggravated battery with a deadly weapon possessing a firearm in connection to the case.

A jury found him guilty of the two charges, along with burglary while armed possessing a firearm. He was found not guilty of the felony murder.

The sentences run concurrently, followed by five years probation.

Patrick Rhodes Nelson, 21, of 2160 Clubhouse Road, North Fort Myers, pleaded guilty in August to one count of first-degree burglary while armed possessing a firearm in an agreement with the State Attorney’s Office.

He received 10 years in prison, followed by five years probation.

As part of the plea deal, the state dropped three charges against Nelson: second-degree felony murder, attempted home invasion robbery possessing a firearm and aggravated battery with deadly weapon possessing firearm.

Another person was later charged in connection to the case after police discovered that he had been actively involved in the planning and execution of the home invasion robbery, which then led to the Steak ‘n Shake shootout.

Christopher Maurice Williams, 24, of Lehigh, pleaded guilty in November to burglary of a dwelling while armed with a firearm, as a principal. He was sentenced to 35.4 months in prison, followed by 10 years state probation.

If Williams violates his probation, he faces up to life in prison.

On Dec. 20, 2009, police received 911 calls from a residence in the 700 block of Northeast 15th Terrace that three or four people had entered the home wearing masks. One person was struck in the head, and the intruders fired at least one shot before fleeing, according to documents.

Responding officers observed a car fail to stop at a red light to turn right. Cape police tried to conduct a traffic stop on the car in the Steak ‘n Shake lot, and the shootout between the vehicle’s occupants and officers ensued.

Mundle and Borrell each sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound.

Nelson was not injured in the shootout, and Williams was not present.