homepage logo

Cape Coral man convicted of second-degree murder

By Staff | Feb 11, 2012

A man accused of fatally shooting a Cape Coral man during a home invasion robbery in 2010 was convicted this week of the three charges he faced.

Terry Frank Ragland, 28, of 314 N. Morgan Circle, Fort Myers, was found guilty of second-degree murder with a firearm on Wednesday in the death of Eric Leigh Stuebinger, 28, of 511 N.W. Second Ave. He also was convicted of first-degree burglary while armed and attempted home invasion robbery.

“We’re very satisfied with the verdict,” Samantha Syoen, spokeswoman for the State Attorney’s Office, said Friday. “We are very glad the jury listened to the testimony and decided to come back with guilty on all counts.”

Ragland’s sentencing is scheduled for 1:30 a.m. April 2.

He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Assistant State Attorney Carrie Pollock prosecuted the case.

Attorney Joseph Cerino represented Ragland.

“We’re disappointed with the verdict, but we respect the jury’s decision,” Cerino said Friday. “We definitely plan to appeal.”

In July 2010, Ragland and a second man, Timothy Wayne Tuttle Jr., 24, of 4481 Goegel Road, Fort Myers, allegedly entered Stuebinger’s home wearing masks. The men reportedly demanded money and drugs from Stuebinger.

Stuebinger, whose ex-girlfriend and 17-month-old son were present in the home at the time, fought back against the two men, allegedly pulling Tuttle’s mask off. He was beaten, zapped with a stun gun and then shot in the chest.

Ragland and Tuttle fled in a truck, according to documents.

The woman, Jamie Thorpe, and the toddler, Eli, were not injured.

Following the robbery, authorities say they located marijuana, cocaine and prescription pills inside of Stuebinger’s residence during a search.

Ragland was later arrested and a warrant was issued for Tuttle’s arrest. Tuttle was eventually captured following a local manhunt that lasted about 24 hours and covered the San Carlos Park area north toward the airport.

Tuttle faces the same charges and maximum sentence as Ragland.

He has a trial date scheduled for April 17.

During the manhunt, two people were arrested by law enforcement for accessory after-the-fact to second-degree murder for reportedly helping Tuttle by giving him money, water and food, even after being told not to.

The State Attorney’s Office decided not file charges against Carl Robert Dugo, 25, and Sarah Christine Lampila, 23. According to official records, the two cases would have been legally insufficient to prosecute for the state.

Along with Eli, Stuebinger left behind an 8-year-old son, Brenden.